Block Websites On Chrome
Do you want to know the method of blocking websites on Google chrome? Do you want to block some websites and you don’t know how? Are you looking for a complete step-by-step guide on how to block websites on Google chrome?
Are you looking for detailed information on this topic? are you looking for information on how to block websites using Google chrome for research purposes? Are you setting up a computer system for children at school and you don’t want them to access some particular websites? Or Are you hooking up a system at your house and don’t want your children to access some vulgar websites that are not appropriate for children?
There always comes a situation where you need to block a website from Google chrome, you sometimes want to do it for yourself, otherwise, you would want to do it while setting up a system of computers for school-going children, or you would also want to block some age-restricted websites or some other websites that you think are inappropriate for your children while setting up a computer for your children at the house.
There are many different reasons that this step is crucial for setting up a system for your children, one of them is that they might start consuming content that is not suitable for their age, even if you’re setting up a computer system for your employees, at your office, you would want to block some websites that workers keep on scrolling through and wasting time while sitting in your office, this means that you would want to block tinder, as many people keep on scrolling through tinder in the workplace, while some scroll through Reddit, Instagram or any social media platform of their liking.
Today’s topic of discussion includes why people need to block some websites from computers and how to block websites from chrome, along with some additional information.
Why Would People Want To Block Websites From Chrome?
As we all know that a website is a collection of web pages stored and always ready to be visited by the person that finds it interesting, and all these web pages are stored in a server. It makes sharing data easier by facilitating a webpage for that purpose while providing users with various services that they find interesting and making their life easier in general.
Now the question arises, if the websites are so useful and make people’s lives easier, then why is there ever a need to block them for some users?
The answer is rather simple, not all websites need to be blocked, only the ones that some people might find offending, or they might be displaying content that the user decides is inappropriate for consuming and so the user blocks such websites.
Some of the reasons to why some websites need to be blocked are addiction, adult content, and many more. Therefore, the user of a system makes it so that the system itself denies access to the websites that the user instructs the system to block.
Let’s move on to the methods of blocking websites in chrome.
Methods Of Blocking Websites In Chrome:
There are various different methods that you can use to block websites on chrome which depend on the restrictions and the requirements that you have. Some of these methods are given down below, to make it easier for you to follow them and block the websites of your choice,
1. Using An Extension To Block A Website:
Google Chrome has a store full of different free-to-use extensions that basically extend the features of chrome and make it more useful than before, it comes with these extensions and all you need to do is a basic search to find the relevant extensions that will serve you with the purpose based on what you searched for. There are various extensions for you to choose from and they will help you in blocking access to websites of your choice and then manage them accordingly.
Follow the steps given below to add an extension that will block access to websites.
- Find the “block site” extension from the store and click on it.
- The extension toolbar will open, then click on add to chrome.
- You will be asked for confirmation of installing the extension, click on “I accept” to accept the terms and conditions.
- Choose a plan if you have a budget in mind, otherwise, click on “start my free trial”.
- Search for the website that you want to block In the search engine of your choice, then right-click on the link of the website of your choice then click on the block site extension option, and click on the block this link, to confirm that you want to block it.
- If you want to access one of your blocked websites, you can simply visit the extension settings and manage your blocked websites and grant yourself access to the website of your choice.
Block Access By Making Changes In The Host File In C Drive:
Users can access the host file in C drive and make changes so the packets can no longer be accessed and so the website will no longer be accessed, simply due to the blockage of data packets from the website.
You can follow the steps given down below to block websites by making changes in the host file in C drive:
- Click on the start button, and then search for a notepad, right-click the notepad icon and select, “run as administrator” this will grant you administration-level access to the notepad’s functions and you won’t be required to grant yourself permission to access certain files.
- Next, click on “File > open” from the menu bar.
- A pop-up window will appear in Infront of you, and its purpose is to browse the file that you want to open with notepad.
- Now open the “etc” folder, by following the address given below:
This PC > local disk C > windows > system 32 > drivers > etc
Choose to open the host file from the contents of the etc folder.
- Go to the bare end of this file, when you reach the end, type, “127.0.0.1” and then add the link of the website that you want to block anyone from accessing.
- That’s it you’re done, just make sure you save changes to the document before closing it, or when you close it notepad will ask you if you want to save changes to the document or not, make sure you click on save changes otherwise you will be required to do the task again and then save it.
- Now restart the system and the website will be blocked, user can later remove the link from the host file to unblock the website.
Blocking Websites Using Your Router:
You can also block websites using the router that you have placed in your building for accessing the internet, and blocking the website from the router will make it so that no computer connected to the router is able to access that website, and in short you will be blocking the website from your own router. Follow the steps mentioned below to block a website using your router:
- Open the router settings on your browser and click on security, then click on block sites.
- Look for block sites and then enter the domain name or the keyword that you want to block, then click on apply.
- Now the systems connected to your router won’t be able to access the website with a specified domain name or a keyword.
Block Notification On The Browser:
Chrome offers its user the feature to block notifications of websites, and this is a rather easy process as all you need to do is:
- Click on the three dots menu button given at the top right of your window and then click on “settings” from the list of options that appear in the menu.
- Now click on “privacy and security” and click on “site settings”.
- Click on the “notifications” option given under the permissions section.
- Disable the and toggle off the button which is titled “sites can ask to send notifications” and then click on the “add” option, now type the link of the website that you want to block and the browser will block the notification of the website that you mentioned.
Many people don’t know how to block notifications from certain websites and they get bombarded with useless notifications that the user himself is uninterested in, we have discussed the process of blocking notifications from those websites.
Block Websites In Incognito Mode:
The settings that are applied to chrome in incognito mode are not applied in incognito mode, so you will have to apply the changes in this mode as well,
Follow the instructions given below to block a site in incognito mode,
- Click in extensions and then choose, block site extension, now double click on the extension to open it.
- Now click on the extension’s settings icon to open settings.
- Now click on the “Settings” tab and click on “enable incognito mode”
- That’s it! You’re done.
How To Protect A Website With Password Protection?
It’s not always necessary to block a website, as sometimes you may want to use the website for yourself if you also have access to the computer. The extensions provide users with the option of protecting their websites with password protection, so only authorized users are able to access the website, from a particular network.
Open the extension settings as we have already shown you, and click on “password protection”. Further click on “require a password to access blocked sites”, and the extension will verify your email by sending a verification email to your email address, and it will also ask you for the password, then click on save to save changes.
Now that we have discussed how to block websites on chrome, we should also discuss how to block websites on Microsoft’s browser, which is edge, and is one of the most used web browsers to date, as it comes preinstalled with windows.
How To Block Websites On Edge?
Anyone could easily block websites from the edge, by following the steps given below:
- Press the “windows key + R” on your keyboard.
- Type, “intercept. CPL” and press enter, and a dialogue box will be opened in front of you.
- Click on security, click on “restricted sites” and then click on site.
- Enter the link that the user wants to block and then click on “add”.
- That’s it! You’re done. You have successfully blocked the website of your choice from the edge.
The world has now become a global village because of the internet, and the websites on the internet have been used for sharing information and ideas for a long time now, but not all websites are beneficial, on the other hand, they are a distraction for young minds, for teenagers who don’t yet know what is beneficial for them and what’s not.
There is also a whole terrain of websites that provide false information to people who are genuinely looking for information on the topics of their interests, and they get bombarded with websites that don’t provide them with the quality information that they deserve, and all that we can do about these websites is that we can block them from being accessed by us, which is a great way of getting rid of them and their content.
You can always access them again, and you can do it whenever you want, but there’s a reason why you blocked these websites in the first place and there’s not much of a chance that you will be returning to these websites.
We have given you a complete detailed guide on how you can block websites from Google chrome,
we have given you different methods to follow so that you can block the websites of your choice, and we have given you complete steps to follow for performing the methods on to your own devices. We hope that you have now successfully blocked the websites that you wanted to block, we hope that you got the information that you were looking for and we wish you the best of luck.