If you’re looking for an easier way to store and analyze information then a spreadsheet is the right answer for you!
Don’t know what that is? Well, you’ve landed on the right page!
This article will provide you with everything you need to know about spreadsheets along with the best possible options available in the market right now.
A spreadsheet software makes it easier to record, store, manage and access information in just one place. You can perform various functions on the stored information according to your needs and requirements. The best thing about these spreadsheets is that you can use them to store any kind of information that can be maintained in a tabular form.
Spreadsheets were first developed as a bookkeeping regime as a financial database for enterprises. Now enterprises all over the world use them in many fields its functionality. From storing information to generating reports and creating budget lists spreadsheets have the flexibility to meet the various needs of a business.
However, every company’s needs are different, so finding the best spreadsheet software depends on which features are most important for the required task. The best spreadsheet software will be easy to use, flexible, and feature-rich; support engaging graphs and charts that are easy to create and personalize. Not all options are suitable for every business.
We have saved your valuable time and done half of the work for you! We have combined the ten best Spreadsheet software for you. Look through their key features along with their pros and cons to make the right choice!
What is a Spreadsheet Software?
A spreadsheet is the easiest form of storing and assessing data. A spreadsheet software is a computer program that allows its users to capture, display and manipulate data that is arranged and stored in rows and columns. It is generally designed to hold numeric data and short textual information. A spreadsheet program that holds and assorts data is called spreadsheet cells. Each cell either contains text or numeric data or the results of formulas that automatically calculate and display a value based on the contents of other cells.
A single spreadsheet can be used as a worksheet to compile data for a purpose of recording information about a particular subject. Multiple sheets can be combined to generate one workbook. Spreadsheets have basically replaced paper-based systems throughout businesses around the world. Even though they were first developed for accounting and bookkeeping purposes, they are now being used in every context where tabular lists are built, stored, and shared. However, modern spreadsheet software can have multiple interactive displays and can display data either as text and numerical values or in graphical form.
Why should you use one?
The spreadsheet is an essential business and accounting tool due to its ability to store and analyze a vast set of data. Although they can vary in complexity and can be used for various reasons their primary purpose is to store and categorize data. Once you’ve entered data into the sheet you can use it to help organize and store information and grow your business.
You can use spreadsheets for the following purposes:
- Business data storage- Spreadsheets are an easier way of storing various types of information. These data types can be financial information, customer data, sales data, employee information, product data, etc.
- Accounting calculation information- You can keep track of your expenses and revenues with spreadsheets. You can enter data in spreadsheets and apply formulas to do all of your business calculations.
- Data sorting and cleanup- You can remove inaccuracies and errors from data exported from other systems by using a spreadsheet.
- Budgeting and spending pattern- You can keep track of your spending pattern with information you store in spreadsheets. You can also create budgeting spreadsheets to manage your income and expenses.
- Generating reports and charts- You can use data from spreadsheets to create report trends or business forecasts.
- Business administrative tasks- You can use spreadsheets to generate invoices and receipts and also use them for business-related forecasts.
- Assisting with data exports- Spreadsheets can be used to extract data exported from other systems. You can also convert data into a format that is easier to read and manipulate.
Best Spreadsheet Software in 2023:
Following is a list of the 10 Best Spreadsheet Software in 2022 and 2023. You can use it to store information for various purposes:
Spreadsheet software analyzes and stores data in an easy-to-understand format, charts, and graphs. The data organized in spreadsheet software can be shared for real-time collaboration. They are often used in fields where tabular lists are needed. The functionality of spreadsheet software has led to its widespread adoption mostly in the corporate world as data can be displayed in a variety of ways including texts, numbers, graphics, and charts.
- ONLYOFFICE SPREADSHEETS
- MICROSOFT EXCEL
- GOOGLE SHEETS
- APPLE NUMBERS
- ZOHO SHEETS
- LIBREOFFICE CALC
1. ONLYOFFICE SPREADSHEETS:
Only Office commonly styled as ONLYOFFICE is an online documentation suite just like Microsoft. It is developed by Ascencio system SIA and is known to be a subsidiary of a Russian Company. The software tools offered by ONLYOFFICE encompass essential documentation tools as that provided by Microsoft such as documentation, presentations, and spreadsheets. This company also features online document editing tools, a platform for document management, corporate communication, mail, and management tools.
ONLYOFFICE Spreadsheet Editor is an online application that lets you edit your spreadsheets directly from your portal. In order to modify data in your spreadsheets you need to create an ONLYOFFICE account and then upload files on your account portal. Using ONLYOFFICE spreadsheet editor you can perform various editing operations just like any desktop spreadsheet editor you can print the edited spreadsheets keeping all the format or you can download the document on your device as XLSX, PDF, ODS, CSV, XLTX, PDF/A, OTS file.
- Document editing- ease and automate your calculations and also analyze and organize data online with ONLYOFFICE spreadsheet editor. You can view and edit .xlsx, .xls, .ods, and .csv files, and save online spreadsheets as a PDF.
- Precise calculations with minimal effort- You can achieve accurate results by choosing amongst over 400 available functions and formulas and using special syntax tips. Apply table templates, use named ranges, and sort and filter data to simplify working with spreadsheets.
- Analyze data- Analyze data and find patterns using Pivot tables and conditional formatting. Remove duplicated values and rows in an online Excel sheet to make your calculations more precise.
- Illustrate data with visuals- Add charts, sparklines, and graphics. Insert equations, shapes, and images, and use Text Art for data presentation and visualization.
- Accessibility and collaboration- Access, open, and share spreadsheets or even links to specific ranges, co-edit them in real-time, leave comments on cells, and chat with collaborators online without leaving the editor.
- Password encryption- You can set a password for the entire spreadsheet, workbook, or separate sheet. Hide formulas to keep them private. Lock cells, shapes, and text. Enable editing only in specified ranges.
- Users can edit different types of files and save them as PDFs.
- Password encryption is enabled.
- Ease of accessibility and collaboration.
- Various data visualization options.
- Beginner-friendly UI.
- Only available for online editing.
- Limited chart types.
2. MICROSOFT EXCEL:
Excel is a Microsoft business tool and is considered the most and best option for free spreadsheet software option. With Microsoft Excel, you can generate and edit spreadsheets and perform various extra functions. It is included and works with the other Microsoft Office and Office 365 suites. It has a powerful auto-fill feature that makes it easy to find what you’re looking for, while the arguments tooltip is a helpful mnemonic aid. Graphs and charts are easy to insert and personalize, with almost every element clickable and customizable. There’s no shortage of styles or templates, and everything integrates well with the rest of the Microsoft Office suite.
- Integrated with Microsoft OneDrive for ease of collaboration and sharing.
- Changes made are saved automatically across all devices.
- Includes over 400 distinct operations.
- Analyzes data with the help of bar charts and graphs.
- Excel has an extensive range of cells to store a vast collection of data.
- User-friendly interface.
- Over 400 formulas and functions.
- Extensive cell count to store a vast set of information.
- Charts and graphs for data visualization.
- Cells precise resizing for imaging is required.
- No generalized chat and comment feature.
3. GOOGLE SHEETS:
Google spreadsheet is a free online spreadsheet program provided by Google to store and analyze data in tabular form. The main benefit of using Google sheets is that it can be accessed from anywhere and any device due to it being entirely web-based. When compared to Excel, Google Sheets makes it simple to create and modify spreadsheets of varying complexity. Sheets require a google or Gmail account, to begin with. It is automatically integrated with Google’s cloud storage Google Drive so the changes made in the document are saved automatically. Google Sheets can immediately sync with G Suite apps like Google Analytics and Google Data Studio. It can also populate a spreadsheet with data pulled from Google Forms.
- Integrated with Google Drive so the changes made while editing the document are saved automatically.
- The spreadsheet can be populated by pulling data from Google forms.
- Google Sheets also comes equipped with a slew of traditional mathematical and logical functions.
- Sheets offers real-time collaboration, commenting, and version history to accurately track all progress between contributors.
- Best for any business as Google is one of the major search engines due to which Google sheets can be accessed anywhere across it.
- Allow you to enter endless data inside on sheet
- Any data entered is saved within a minute automatically – without any hassles
- Friendly interface.
- Formula tips and auto-fill
- Ease of collaboration with comment feature.
- Fewer functions than excel.
- It can be tough to determine anonymous editors as Google locks the identity of editors at instances.
- Limited chart options.
The retable is an easy and very intuitive spreadsheet editor option. The super-easy and visually appealing interface of Retable makes it easier to adapt for beginners. It provides more modern and accessible database management by increasing your spreadsheet experience with online forms, automation, graphical reporting, and customizable column types. Databases, CRMs, or any form of data can be used and collected inside the app without barriers. It is a real-time data management platform, Retable allows you to easily configure data from any device.
- You can create a collaborative workspace with your teammates and easily manage team roles.
- You can connect related data, create tables in different views, and quickly convert your data into graphs.
- Retable offers a highly flexible and accessible structure for all your project management, business tracking, and data management needs.
- Retable even allows importing Google, Microsoft, or other sheets directly when needed.
- User-friendly visually appealing interface.
- Offers branding customization for businesses.
- Allows ease of collaboration.
- The sheet can be formatted as per your needs.
- Various visualization options.
- Let you build a small no-code application through your data.
- Accessible from mobile devices but features no mobile application.
- Advanced features require payment.
5. APPLE NUMBERS:
Apple numbers is an iOS-based spreadsheet editing and creating software. It mostly comes pre-installed for free with Apple computers. One of the best features of Numbers is its clean and user-friendly intuitive yet modern interface. Unlike Excel, Numbers loads as an infinite blank canvas that allows you to place tables wherever you want, including side by side. The number comes with numerous built-in templates so you can run your routine tasks easily. Numbers present you with a clean slate on which to structure your data in whatever way you see fit.
- You can easily type your data with your voice using the Audio feature.
- You can easily highlight comparisons with radar charts.
- You can turn your handwriting into text when using an iPad and Apple pencil.
- The powerful data analysis tool of this program converts data into trend patterns and pivot tables.
- With XLOOKUP, you can find values in columns and rows, or look for exact, approximate, or partial matches.
- Apply a color, gradient, or image to the background of any sheet, to your text, or to any shape.
- With powerful read-only mode you can go through your spreadsheet, also zoom in and zoom out without accidentally modifying data.
- Has various advanced features as compared to Excel and sheets.
- Intuitive and customizable interface.
- Various templates to choose from.
- Has its own shape library.
- Has a precise object editing feature.
- Data modeling is complex for beginners.
- Tough to share data with non-iOS users.
- It has no free trial.
6. ZOHO SHEETS:
Zoho sheets is a completely web-based spreadsheet editor program. It is rather similar to Google sheets due to some of its collaborative features. It comes with real-time co-authoring, chat, individual cell versions, and sharing permissions. You can conduct data analysis from any location with this free online editor. The best part is Zoho sheets offers more than 350 functions to its users to use, edit, model, or format data as they like. Users of this program are not restricted to their desktops because the application is available to download for both iOS and Android users.
- It can be accessed from anywhere; mobile, desktop, and web.
- Has real-time collaboration features.
- Provides cloud storage ability for your edited documents.
- Highlight specific parts of your data with conditional formats and visualize your data series with in-cell color scales and icon sets.
- Decide who can and cannot view your formula cells, and allow file exports only when you wish to.
- Zoho Sheet’s integration with Zoho Forms allows you to create, edit, and publish forms, then collect the data back into your spreadsheets.
- Integration with Zoho forms to extract data directly.
- Integration with Zoho Drive to automatically save edited documents.
- Offers templates.
- Various data and spreadsheet formatting options.
- Sharing encryption.
- Limited features for data visualization
- Premium features are paid and pricey.
- Will take time to learn the features of this application.
Grist is an online spreadsheet editor and data analysis program. It is a cloud-based data management program. This software can convert a boring set of table data into eye-catching charts. It also allows users to design their own widgets. All data and spreadsheets can be overviewed on an easy-to-read dashboard. It is also very data-focused and provides users the tools to create dynamic charts and reports as well as share data with the use of collaboration tools. The administrator of the spreadsheet can also assign certain users to certain data cells. The platform also allows for tables and data to be exported and can also integrate with Zapier.
- Transform spreadsheets into a relational database in minutes
- Customize highly productive layouts with drag-and-drop UI
- Zapier integration.
- Automatic backups.
- Offers customizability.
- A highly intuitive interface.
- Ease of customizability.
- Allows users to use python formulas.
- Hybrid database application.
- One requires technical expertise to use this application.
- Limited templates.
Airtable is a hybrid software data storing and accessing program as it combines the features of spreadsheet software and a database. It allows its users to convert their stored data into robust applications with little to no knowledge of coding. So if you’re looking for a program to manage, transform, and analyze vast amounts of data Airtable might be the right pick for you. Airtable stands out for its intuitive interface and cutting-edge features in the list of spreadsheet software. Despite being a powerful hybrid program, Airtable has all of the features you’ve come to expect from a spreadsheet solution, like the ability to create pivot tables and graphs, use formulas, and summarize values, along with plenty of project management and collaboration features.
- Pre-made templates allow you to perform routine edits and database creation easily
- Can be customized easily as per needs.
- One can edit the permission levels for each specific user, making collaboration secure
- Allows integrations and plug-ins and comes with countless in-built templates
- A vast amount of data can be stored and analyzed at the same time.
- The intuitive interface allows easy data manipulation.
- Allows easy collaboration.
- Data can be converted into applications.
- Offers normal kanban boards.
- Provides various built-in templates.
- Also provides productivity planners in addition to spreadsheets.
- Can be hard to learn how to use.
- Airtable may not be sufficient if you regularly deal with complex tasks.
- Lacks user-friendliness.
Quip is an innovative productivity tool that combines the features of spreadsheets, documentation, and team chat. It is a great deal for companies and individuals whose work is based on collaborations. Quip keeps live updates of all the edits made by the editors. It is more of a centralized workspace where all stakeholders can comment, edit and share in real time. You can even add third-party stakeholders, such as partners, suppliers, or even your customers, to keep everyone on the same page, and ensure security by managing data access and visibility.
- Two-way data sync allows seeing live Salesforce records, lists, reports, and even Tableau CRM data ensuring teams are always working with the latest information.
- Ultimate collaboration with a live update on editing and comments.
- You can create your own templates with a quip.
- You can access all your documents on the go with Quip mobile application.
- Various built-in template options.
- Offers keyboard shortcuts for most menu options.
- Boasts more than 400 built-in functions.
- Charts can be created just by selecting a particular data range.
- Provides built-in templates for various tasks.
- Highly collaborative tool.
- Heavy on system resources.
- Can take some time to learn.
10. LIBREOFFICE CALC:
Calc is a free spreadsheet editor powered by Libreoffice. It is a solid option to consider if you are looking for a free alternative to run on your computer as opposed to a web-based system. The built-in wizards guide you through choosing and using a comprehensive range of advanced features. You can also download templates from the LibreOffice template repository, for ready-made spreadsheet solutions. Calc has limited functions as opposed to the options provided on the list so far. It is a great tool if you are using it for personal projects or if you are a student.
- The DataPilot feature of Calc facilitates copying over data from a company database.
- Graphs are very simple to create.
- You can add new toolbars to the interface to access what you need.
- Calc has over 300+ features such as the DataPilot tool that allows you to aggregate raw data and repurpose it in your spreadsheets.
- Has an intuitive and user-friendly interface.
- Routine features are arranged to be easily accessible.
- Has 300+ great features.
- Features a library of templates.
- Creating graphs is really time-consuming.
- The layout is outdated.
- Limited cloud storage.
Which software is best for you?
Well, we cannot really answer that question for you! When deciding what option is suitable for you need to analyze what your needs are. For example, if you are a light and day-to-day user of tabular forms of data then Calc might be the right pick for you. If you want further options on data manipulation you need to look for programs that provide the necessary tools for it. We have provided you with a list of the best Spreadsheet programs that you can choose for yourself. Scroll right up and assess the options according to your choice!